Показать сообщение отдельно
Krina
Старый пост, нажмите что бы добавить к себе блог 29 августа 2008, 15:12
ВКонтакте Live Journal LastFm Отправить сообщение через twitter для Krina
  #1478 (ПС)
As part of Cypress Hill, rapper Sen Dog has solidified a place in hip-hop music history. So one can only imagine the pressure and apprehension in going solo after over ten years as part of a group. Well, think again, because Sen Dog is quite confident in his new venture and forthcoming CD Diary of a Mad Dog.

Sixshot spoke with him about going solo, his heart attack, being picky with producers, the changes in Cuba, the state of Cypress Hill, and more.

Sixshot.com: How are you handling this new venture as a solo artist?

Sen Dog: It feels good to be able to accomplish a solo record in my career. I'm not known for solo records or anything like that. I know I have fun doing shows and solo stuff and this is like a neat chapter of my career.

Sixshot.com: Did you always want to go solo?

Sen Dog: I stated thinking about it 2 years ago when there was downtime with Cypress [Hill]. So I felt like I could be more productive. I had an opportunity and jumped on it. I think this is the first of my solo records. I plan to do more.

Sixshot.com: As part of Cypress Hill you made a name for yourself. So did you want to go for a totally differ ent sound to avoid comparison?

Sen Dog: Well it wasn't a concern to me. Of course when you make your own music you want to make sure it sounds nothing like the group where you come from. I know that could never happen because I know there's a certain type of recipe that goes into making those types of songs. This is its own comparison. So I wasn't concerned about sounding like Cypress [Hill] cause how I make my own solo songs—it has its own identity.

Sixshot.com: As part of a group you can't say all you want to say since you must inevitably compromise on certain things. So what are you looking forward to saying that you couldn't before?

Sen Dog: There's no like—I want to be the next bad a** artist or whatever. When we first started recording this record I wasn't really doing anything. Cypress was in the middle of changing management and labels and what-not and everything. There wasn't a lot going on with Cypress—no shows or anything. I was approached by my manager and he runs his own label. He said, "Why don't you give me a record?" I said, "Alright, f*** it," and we made it. Some things happened and while making the album I had what they call a light heart attack, which ended me up in the hospital. I recovered from that and went back into the record. It was definitely a little bit more of a spiritual vibe to some songs. After that I don't really have an expectation for this album. If people dig it and like it—it could be ten to a hundred—I'll be happy.

Sixshot.com: So there was no particular side of yourself you wanted to show people?

Sen Dog: Yes, that I like to make songs and have a good time performing them on stage. I understand the question but there's no ulterior motive. I'm just doing this cause I like recoding hip-hop and sharing it with people.

Sixshot.com: When did the heart attack happen?

Sen Dog: Well it was little over a year ago on July 3rd that I went in for chest pain and stuff like that. They told me that it wasn't chest pain, it was a slight heart attack but it was painful. I was in there for a while. I went through a procedure. I had to change the way I eat, exercise, and everything that goes with it. I wasn't really taking care of myself or doing anything to the fullest and it eventually caught up with me. Now I definitely eat right and work out everyday. I stay away from drinking a lot and all that s*** and everything that goes with that.

Sixshot.com: I read that with this album you were picky with your producer.

Sen Dog: This is the first that I heard about that.

Sixshot.com: In an interview on Latinrapper.com you said your produce felt you were very picky.

Sen Dog: Well I wanted to work with guys that are really good producers and haven't had that big break yet, but I dig their work. For that reason I wanted to get the best out of people. So I went through a few dozen CD's to find tracks and what-not. Working with B-Real in the studio—he always had a tricky formula for making his songs and the quality of beats he gets. So I guess it rubbed off from there and I applied that to my own album. It comes from hanging with the best do their thing—you learn from them.

Sixshot.com: Is there any Spanish rapping on this album?

Sen Dog: Yeah, there are a couple songs in there and there's a good inspirational track called "Stand Up." It's one of those moments when I felt like people were saying the right thing or whatever and that's one of those songs.

Sixshot.com: Have you followed the changes occurring in Cuba?

Sen Dog: Yes, I have followed just the small changes that we have seen go down recently. One of them is that any citizen in Cuba can have a cell phone. That was not allowed up until recently—and also being able to go in stores and restaurants to purchase goods for your family. Before you could not do that. Even though those are small changes—but really it means a great deal if you look at it under a microscope. How can you have a third world nation 90 miles from the U.S? It's absurd and I think these small changes in my opinion are gonna give way to even more democracy in Cuba down the line. More changes will occur and you'll see Cuba open up even more.

Sixshot.com: I know you have family down there but that you haven't seen them. Have you been able to travel down there recently?

Sen Dog: No, not yet, I haven't gone back since I left. There was always a big question mark about going there but I understand a lot of people are traveling there nowadays. I haven't gone back. So I haven't seen a lot of my people in a very long time. I have cousins that tour around the world. I'm most likely to see them in Europe than Cuba but I definitely do plan and want to go visit. I have a lot of my family there that I don't even know about so it's high on my agenda.

Sixshot.com: What's the state of Cypress Hill?

Sen Dog: Cypress is recording songs. We have 25 songs now and we'll do 10 or 15 more and call it a record. There's definitely label interest so we will talk to people and see what we can do. I can honestly say the new s*** is wide open and fun. We are gonna go in the studio and just record good songs. If it feels good to the band; it will feel good to the fans.

Sixshot.com: With such accomplishments is there no longer pressure or a sense of obligation to reach the mainstream youth market?

Sen Dog: I think that we do it for both reasons. Of course we do it because we solidified the name and travel around the world to sold out shows, but we want to get better with every record and reach the new audience that's there now. Our last record was 4 years ago. So it's important to us to make music that's still relevant and kids can still have something in common with. The longevity is a plus. At this point being a productive part of music society and contributing good music is still highly important to us.